Friday, December 07, 2007

Now this is an American

I have my issues with Governor Romney. Some of the things I know of Mormonism cause me to have even bigger issues with that faith. But his faith wouldn't keep me from voting for him it's his politics.

Yesterday, I questioned if making a speech on his faith was necessary. I was totally wrong. A politician that can explain who we are as Americans and what make us a great people demand respect...if for no other reason than we don't talk about the grandeur of this nation enough any more.

The respect I have for the Governor has grown today, even if I don't agree with him.

3 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

he had a few good lines in that speech.

Americans acknowledge that liberty is a gift of God, not an indulgence of government.

Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree.

Ron Simpson said...

I know you won't vote for him in the primaries as you support the Fredster. But if Romney wins the primary, would you vote for him over the lib candidates?

DAKOTARANGER said...

I'm hard pressed to consider anyone but Senator Thompson.

The only three Repubs I won't vote for are the good Mayor, that crazy guy that reminds me of Ross Perrot (there are things that he says I like, but he lost me when he blamed Israel for all the evil in the world in one of the first debates...it sounded like it came from the daily kos.), and Senator McCaine. I respect what Senator McCaine did during Viet Nam, but he sold out the Republicans too many times and he disparaged Evengelicals to the point hes a no vote.

Like I've said numerous times, I get the same 'I've got my fingers crossed' feeling I get from the good Mayor on the Second Amendment and protecting our sovereignty. On the border issue I think I can trust him more than Governor Huckabee.

At this moment in time, if the vote was held today, no.

Since I'm a Federalist, and not a Republican I don't have toe a party line. If the vote were today I'd write someone in (assuming Senator Thompson is out of the race)