Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I've got to quit teaching women to shoot

Monday night I had a cute brunette that called to make sure I knew my beloved Cowboys played poorly in the fourth quarter on Sunday. In the process of the conversation I talked her into going to the indoor range here in town (unfortunately, they only allow .22's because it doesn't give her a broad view of what's available to shoot.) While she wasn't to sure she wanted anything to do with firearms but she acquiesced anyway.

While I'm not the greatest teacher let alone the greatest shooter I was able to explain the four rules of Safe Gun Handling before we started and tried to convey how best to aim great-grandpa's .22/.410 rifle-shotgun combo to hit the target, but she couldn't quite get the site picture down. Which it may take some getting used to for her. When she was shooting the rifle she kept saying she doesn't ever want to compete at shooting.

That changed when I showed her how to use my .22 pistol. Her first shot was in the black. The rest of the afternoon she was able to get several bullseyes with the pistol. She started wanting to compete with the firearms and the greatest showing of how much fun she was having is that she lost track of time and wanted to keep shooting. I'll take her out this summer to teacher how to trap shoot. While I'm not sure she's anywhere near going pistol shopping, but she sure looked cute with the hearing protection on.

One last thing...the scariest thing is she could become a better shot than I am. This is only bad if I get her mad at me.

1 comment:

TexasFred said...

Not too terribly long ago I was teaching one of my daughters a bit about shooting...

I gave her the basics on saftey and stance and so forth, showed her how to use the OLD H&R .22, 9 shot revolver her grandfater bought in 1957 and pointed her in the right direction...

9 shots later, ALL 9 in the target and 4 in the black, her older brother, who is now a real hotshot with a pistol and needs to go into competition shooting for his Department, turns and looks at me, shakes his head and says, "Damn..."

For some reason, I never shot a pistol until I was 17 years old, I had a lot of rifles and several shotguns but I didn't DO pistols, my Father took me out to shoot much the same way with much the same result...

I guess my kids get a natural ability to shoot pistols from me and their grandfather, he was pretty good too...

The most ful I ever had was shooting squirrels outta trees with a pistol, did it with the .22 and a 9mm, had witnesses too... :)

Don't have ANY worries about teaching a woman to shoot, just don't piss her off after you do...