Thursday, May 08, 2008

Woodrow Wilson Keeble to Receive North Dakota's Highest Award

KFYRtv.com is Reporting:


The honors have come years after his passing, but to his family and fellow soldiers, he`s always been a hero.
Woodrow Wilson Keeble will receive North Dakota`s highest honor, the Roughrider Award. Governor Hoeven says it`s given to people who have achieved national recognition that honors the people of North Dakota. Keeble had served in World War Two and in the Korean War.In 1951, he saved the lives of his platoon members by single-handedly killing more than a dozen enemy soldiers while he was wounded. He passed away in 1982. Earlier this year, President Bush presented the Medal of Honor to members of his family. Keeble will be the 36th North Dakotan to receive the Roughrider award. Hoeven says there will be a formal induction ceremony in a couple of months. He says the timing is right because of the work our soldiers are doing overseas in the war on terror."His selfless acts, his courage, his care for his fellow soldiers I think epitomizes our great North Dakota soldiers," Hoeven says.Keeble was raised in Wahpeton. He was the first full-blooded Sioux to win the Medal of Honor.

4 comments:

TexasFred said...

Congrats to the Keeble family, he must have been one hell of a guy..

I have included this wonderful blog on the new Come And Take It blog roll, I know you didn't request it, it just seemed the right thing to do, I saw YOUR logo and read your comment on my blog, and well, once in a while I'm a lot nicer than some folks think I am...

dismalsand said...

Wow that is really nice! I'm so glad for him and also thankful to him. Thanks for sharing :)

DAKOTARANGER said...

The unfortunate thing was he should have received the Medal of Honor years ago, at least as Amercians we do the best to correct the mistake

Texas Fred, thanks for adding me.

Ron Simpson said...

Good deal. I just posted a blog article about another person who got awarded a MOH late becuase he was black. I have posted about it before. Come take a read.