Sunday, July 20, 2008

So, Senator barry has a less problem with a bitter religious person that would take ahold of his manhood, than religious hicks.

I realize being a hick there may be some cityslicker that claims I have no right to comment on jesse jackson's hypocricy. BUT there are four things that I pose as my bonefides:

  1. I was a Pastor's kid
  2. I went to college east
  3. I see race relations as more than a black and white thing, making me not as short sighted as an easterner.
  4. This is America and this is my blog I can write what I want.
While jesse wants to turn Senator barry into a steer, the bigger story is the use of the N-word as a pejorative. I hear pundants try to tell us that we must understand the oppression that took place and that African-Americans have taken back the word. I guess I can see how that could be, BUT watching from the peanut gallery it looks more like the word (along with all political correctness) has become a weapon just to make white liberals twist themselves into pretzels to make themselves look like good people.

There was one show where a discussion of whoppi goldberg defending jesse's use of the N-word and Elizabeth Hasslebacks response that it shouldn't have been used. Bob Beckel a democrat strategist said that he was sure that in spite of Elizabeth's impassioned plea that the word shouldn't be used that he was sure she locked the doors to her car when she enters a 'black area.' Massaad Ayoob states clearly when you get in a vehicle the windows should be up and the door locked as a matter of self-defense and we don't have this mythical 'black area' that Mr. Beckel speaks of, but I lock Elly May's door the second I get in just because if I'm going to strap on a .45 I'm going to do as much as I can to keep out of trouble.

Mr. Beckel also said that when they grew up that the trailer park that he grew up in that they would call each other 'poor white trash,' but Heaven help those that didn't live there. I guess I get this too, I was close to the same way growing up, but now that I'm adult if some Easterner would call me a redneck I can say:

  1. I'm not Scottish
  2. Look at them and say, "You're point is?"
  3. I can say, "Well, at least I know where milk comes from."

Here is the bottom line, if the word is wrong don't use it, the argument that only one group can use a word is, well silly. Granted, I'm not a cityslicker that has to worry about being labelled a racist, it's not like there are any politicians that hates me for looking to the Almighty or a .45 for my security rather than trust the government.

There is part of me that suspects that this is just a chance for Senator barry to gain distance between him and jackson, while I have no proof of this, jesse getting caught on a hot mic is a little much for me to swallow. It takes a willful suspension of disbelief if we take into account his history of racist comments. I really don't understand how the media listens to anything he says, but there again I'm just a hick.

I will be honest, as bad as the use of the N-word is I'm more disgusted if I hear a woman use ANY profanity than if I hear the N-word. It does concern me that Senator barry is less offended at what jesse said than if I strap on a .45, carry a Bible, and a copy of the Constitution.

No comments: