Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Dad's mom.

I received some news this morning that from Grandma's standpoint is a good news since her health had been failing for the last two years. God called her home Tuesday morning.

I guess it is only natural that when you loose someone to think about who they were and what they meant to you. We never were physically close to our Grandparent except for maybe two weeks out of the year because Grandma and Grandpa had settled in Indiana, but Dad was always faithful to call Grandma and Grandpa every week.

I remember Grandma was pretty good about writing letters. I remember as a kid Mom would cut our bacon in half, but when we were at Grandma's we got whole pieces. When I was in college Grandma and Grandpa would have me over for Sunday dinner and Grandma would let me come do laundry at her place and we could visit for a couple hours. A couple of years ago Grandpa asked why always seamed to call when I was doing laundry. It took me a couple of weeks to remember that I would visit with them while I did laundry at their Harmon Street home.

Grandma had a best friend by the name of Willowdeen. When those two got together they were like a pair of teenagers. When Grandma started giggling...she kept giggling.

I would call and try to conspire with Grandpa to get Grandma to fix Grandpa a pumpkin pie...didn't really work but Grandma always giggled at the thought. My Grandma would send me jokes and pass on family history.

But the greatest thing that Grandma and Grandpa ever gave were their prayers for me. I can't begin tell how much it scares me that I don't have Grandma praying for me anymore.

Grandma I love you.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma, I know she was a wonderful lady. I appreciated the times that I had to talk with her when we were hanging out in Indiana. When is the funeral? Are you heading out this way?

DAKOTARANGER said...

No, I'm not. I just couldn't face another funeral right now. Grandma's funeral is Saturday.

Ron Simpson said...

Hey, buddy, I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I was lucky and saw my grandmother a lot growing up. When she died it was hard to remember that it was a good thing and she was in heaven with grandpa and all her friends and family.
Remember, she walks with God.
Take care my friend.

Cathy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray that God gives you comfort during this sad time.