Friday, October 29, 2010

Why I love Hunting.

Since I had won a sweatshirt from Scheels for their "Why I love Hunting contest" I figured I would post what I wrote since the people I included were so prominently featured in the essay.

First off, I love deer hunting just because it offers a good excuse to go home and see people that are included in my extended family. I don't generally have a good excuse to go back since I don't have any blood relations up in Watford City. While my sister and I grew up other places we both kind of consider the Corners home because that was the last place we were together as a family. Don't get me wrong I love Dwight and I have some great memories from Mom's and Dwight's place down in Sturgis, but I don't really have anything tying me to Sturgis once they moved. The ranch I go hunting on, the land owners took us in after dad was killed and we owe them so much, they looked after mom after I moved to Michigan for a year and half. Having worked for most of the people in our church family and knowing the Pastor that took over for Dad for most of my life there will always be a connection. I even do what most hunters would think is nuts just so I can see everyone. I take Sunday and go to church.

Although, the sun coming up over the Badlands is a religious experience in and of itself, seeing my extended family is just that important to me. The hours I spent walking through the badlands last year helped me relax.

I will admit, it is great to get some venison into the freezer. It's just part of the reason I love hunting. There is a freedom to knowing that you can provide your own food...it also tastes so much better knowing that you did it yourself.

1 comment:

Matt L. said...

Thanks again for writing such an amazing post about why you love hunting. Truly meaningful.

Matt L.
scheels.com